Friday, April 20, 2007

Errant Driver or unfortunate victim

I shouldn't be awake at this hour.....
There I was, just about cross the borders into Zzzz-land when I was awoken by a loud crash. I dragged myself out of bed to investigate what was that all about.

Apparently, some guy(I think) , a wannabe demolition derby driver perhaps had just driven his lorry up the road kerb and successfully uprooted the traffic light at the pedestrian crossing infront of my apartment along the way. Thank goodness no one was waiting to cross the road at that point of time. I'm sure the driver was fine or perhaps more than fine. Still able to muster enough energy to stage a getaway much to the disdain of his battered mechanical 'steed'. It was crying out loud for him to stop as it can go on no further, not with a wounded wheely.

In his desperation, the driver revved hard and reversed towards on-coming traffic before fleeing away from the wreckage he had left behind. Crazy fool I say, perhaps he's guilty of more than just some bad driving. Or could he have been an innocent victim of the wet roads after the drizzle earlier...... but still, no excuses for the latter part of the episode.

Me, being a thorough-bred, true blue Singaporean went down my usual 6 flight of stairs to have a closer look at the damage and debris left behind. Nothing productive I know, just something to quench my curiousity. No golden numbers for the Saturday and Sunday draw though to satisfy the average lion-city dweller. I discovered that after 2 months, LTA have yet to replace the traffic light box label for the fallen one. I should know, because I was the one who had reported about it being faulty and not been able to find the sticker 2 months ago! Top talent who deserve top dollar indeed. The probably need another 2 months to get the new one up after much approval from all relevant departments within the same organisation..... just kidding, it should be up by evening tomorrow.

As for me, my access pass to Zzzz-land has expired. Just gotta hang in there and wait for my next application to come through. They have been few and far between these days......

No comments: