Saturday, June 2, 2007

The Bag....

I'm referring to the previous post about that abandoned bag in kfc.

Apparently, that guy was no where to be seen within the outlet, not even after 20-30mins. Suspicious eh? The owner was a young Chinese guy, attired in a striped shirt and black pants with a short, spunky haircut. my first impression of him was that he should be some sales person and extremely "cheapo" because he had initially sat down in the fast food restaurant without ordering a single item and didn't seem like he would ever anyway. Thus, when the moment came for him to vacate his seat, I had thought that his conscience or sudden realisation that he is out of place pricked him and triggered him to the counter to place an order finally.

Maybe it was an acquired kind of sensitivity from my previous job that I can't seem to take my eye off that bag. I alerted one of the kfc crew, an auntie in her 60s who did not seem the least interested with the information I had provided her with. Her response in simple teochew suggested that she had seen the guy earlier and of course does not know where he went, just like me. She then went about her usual duties. Not one to let the issue go away so simply, (kpo if you deem so) I told another younger staff to inform his duty manager about it, which he duly did so.

Having spoken to the manager, I understood the reactions of the auntie fully. He, the manager claimed that the owner of the bag is just outside and even "pointed" him out which of course isn't the right person. When I told him that he had made a mistake, his reply was to "wait till 4pm" and "see how" when the time read 3.20pm.

Incredulous, ludicrous even. From a bigger and wider perspective, in this modern era with acts of terrorism are wide spread though thankfully not in Singapore. With our government making extensive efforts, appealing to the masses to practise vigilance and alert to any suspicious sightings or acts, such an inaction can actually take place. What's wrong with him, shouldn't he alert the authorities at the very least? This is not being over-zealous and should that irresponsible owner return to an awkward senario there after, he has not moral standing to chide anyone.

I left shortly after and chanced upon the owner of THAT BAG. Sure enough, he seems to be a sales person trying to sell something or whatever (not the drink) to some Chinese National. He was some distance away from KFC ( for those who know the layout of Heartland Mall, he was just outside Sakae Sushi). I approached him and advised him against leaving behind his belongings unattended in KFC and he should return to retrieve them to prevent further misunderstandings. I even told him that I had alerted the restaurant staff about it. THAT GUY did not seem to care less and merely offered a superficial "thank you" before continuing with his sales talk. I observed him from a distance, he did not turn a hair or seem the least interested to return to KFC to take back his stuff!

Having started this, I decided to give it a due conclusion by returning to KFC to inform the duty manager about THAT GUY's whereabouts. He seemed busy, counting his shift's takings but still found time to give me another "thank you". Its no wonder he said "4pm" earlier then, shift's over yah?

With that, I ended this episode, clearly and thoroughly disgruntled with these people who showed to me absolutely no public-responsibility and awareness. I pray that they are not the majority amongst us though it maybe futile.

No comments: